Saturday, June 30, 2012

Blade Runner ( Oscar Pistorius )




Known as "Blade Runner", the South African is a double amputee who holds the world records in the 100, 200 and 400m (class T44). In 2008, he won a landmark case against the IAAF, which had tried to ban him from able-bodied competitions, claiming his artificial legs gave him an unfair advantage. Pistorius hopes to compete at both the Paralympics and Olympics in 2012.


I had my legs amputated below the knee as a baby after being born without fibulas in both legs, due to a congenital condition. I was never brought up as a "disabled" person. As a kid, I grew up competing against able-bodied people in rugby and water polo.


At boarding school my mates played pranks on me and liked to hide my legs. When I woke up in the morning the first thing I'd have to do was look for my legs! I liked it though – my situation's never going to change so the best way to treat it is with humour.


I began competing in Paralympic sport in 2004, although I wish I'd got involved sooner. It taught me so much more about doing your best, while able-bodied sport is just about winning at any cost. I can win now and be disappointed, or I can come fifth and be happy. It's about the performance.


In the beginning Paralympic sport was really weird for me. I had this stereotype about it being a second-grade version of able-bodied sport. How wrong I was. The competitiveness is crazy.


On TV my blades look space age, but in real life they're very basic. They're just wood, with bolted-on carbon fibre. They're very uncomfortable. What makes them so phenomenal is how light they are.


Running on prosthetic blades you don't have a heel so balance is important. Around a corner you bring your right arm across while your left arm goes further back – you have to be mentally sharp. You don't want to sacrifice time and effort fighting your body.


Prosthetics have been hugely influential for double amputees like me. Where we hold an advantage is running corners; my two legs are the same so I'm not unbalanced like a single amputee would be. Our disadvantage is that without ankles we are not able to generate such power at the start.


The only part of my body I don't like is my hands. They are scarred from all the motorbike riding I did when I was a kid. I don't know how many times I've broken bones in them. I wish I could take pieces of my skin and wrap it over all the scars so they would look better.


Kids are the only ones who react honestly to disability. Parents are always telling them, "don't stare", but it's their fault for not educating the kids. If they did, it wouldn't be a big deal.


No comments:

Post a Comment